Skin changes, real or myth? Is it possible for your skin to change and your product favorites and holy grails to become hate its? Yes!
Skin changes happen because your skin can get used to products and they can lose effectiveness over the years. Since I just finished all my bottles of foundation, I thought this would be the perfect time to put this post together. (Yes, I resisted the urge to buy more until I finished all the ones I had. It was quite the feat LOL. But I did it. And I am on the hunt for another foundation.)
So, I revisited some old favorites and it turns out that they no longer look the same one me…
It’s so sad. I comprised a list of my old favorites to recent hate its.
Why your skin changes?
Like your body, if you keep doing the same routine it no longer will be as effective as when you first started. Your skin changes because it gets used to the products you’re using. So your once holy grail skincare/ makeup products can soon become a “this kind of sucks” product.
How my skin has changed?
I used to be really oily. My skin type was oily, but now my skin type is combination oily and dry. Yup, dry patches on my jawline, mouth and eye areas. And oily only on the T-zone. My skin is a walking juxtaposition.
Makeup That No Longer Works
Since I’ve noticed my skin changes, I have found that quite a few of my old favorites just don’t look right on my now dry skin. It blends weird, looks patchy, and clings to dry patches.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation – this used to blend beautifully in to my skin and give me great coverage. But this foundation now clings to dry patches and looks like a mask on my face.
- Ulta double duty 2 in 1 foundation- A great dupe for the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, but now it looks cakey on my skin. And when I recently tested it out, this foundation actually made my skin feel itchy.
- Benefit Hello Oxygen Powder foundation- When I had oily skin, this kept my skin looking matte and gave me decent coverage. But now it looks like cake-face and clings to dry patches. This foundation no longer blends into my skin instead it just sits on top of the skin.
- Rimmel London wake me up concealer- I used to use the medium shade as a contour, but I recently found that the concealer breaks me out. This concealer is sill great under the eyes, but I can’t use this concealer anywhere else on my face or I’ll get a nice patch of tiny little bumps.
- Cover FX blemish treatment concealer- This is great for treating acne spots but it emphasizes the dry patches all around the blemish which draws way too much attention towards my breakout.
- Almay Blemish concealer- Also great for covering oily skin and acne but the formula is way too dry for me now.
- Physician’s Formula- I used to use this everyday in high school. It never breaks me out, but when I picked it up again at CVS I found that the powder sits on top of the skin, looks dry and cakey, and sticks to dry patches.
Skincare That No Longer Works
Skin changes also affect my skincare routine. When I continued using a lot of these products with my skin changes I noticed more dry patches and redness from my face all the way down my neck.
- The Body Shop Tea tree Mattifying toner- This is way too drying. My skin actually turned red because it was so dry. I had patches of skin flaking off my cheeks and forehead. I looked like I was going through a chemical peel.
- The Body Shop revitalizing night cream- I think my skin has also become more sensitive to oils and scents because this moisturizer actually breaks me out now! This is so sad because it left my skin so soft and smooth.
- Peter Thomas Roth sulfur treatment- I used to love anything that has sulfur in it. But this mask does nothing for my breakouts. It only dries out my skin and leaves it feeling tight and stripped of all moisture.
- Kate Somerville sulfur treatment- My old holy grail breakout treatments! I can’t tell you how many of these I went through. But my skin got used to it and it doesn’t heal my blemishes like it used to.
- Neutrogena spot treatment- My go-to treatment to prevent breakouts. This cream is now less effective. I used to apply this once a day and it was enough but now I need to apply twice a day for it to keep breakouts at bay.
Products that still work
- Bourjois healthy mix foundation and concealer- This gel consistency glides over dry patches and gives me a light coverage that evens out my skin-tone without irritating my skin.
- Rimmel London Wake me up foundation- A great light formula that still blends beautifully in to my skin for a dewey finish.
- PUR cosmetics hydrafluid- My skin always looks fresh and dewey with this foundation. It’s wonderful and doesn’t break down throughout the day. But if you don’t like the dewey look, don’t forget to set it with powder! The coverage is light to light medium. The only down-side to this foundation is the color selection. It comes in only five shades and none of them are the right color. So, I mix the light and medium shades together to get my perfect shade. (I’m NC 20 and NARS Fiji for color reference.)
- Bobbie Brown Skin Foundation- My skin looks like skin with this foundation. The coverage is light to medium and I love that it comes in so many shades!
- NYX HD powder- I’m still in love with it. It’s super affordable and makes my skin look poreless.
- Hourglass Ambient lighting powder in diffused light- This powder doesn’t emphasize texture or cling to dry spots. Plus, it gives my skin such a healthy glow!
- GlamGlow Supermud Clearing mask- This mask draws out all the gunk and leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft. I generally have a few more spots after using this mask but it clears up very quickly. This mask is great if you want to purge your skin of all the junk that gets stuck in it.
- Tony Moly sheet masks- I love how soft my skin is after using these masks. The tea tree mask is still my favorite go-to mask when I’m breaking out.
- DermaE purifying cleanser- skin changes can be difficult and I am super glad that I can still use this cleanser because it cleans my skin without leaving it tight and stripped of moisture.
- DermaE purifying mask- I use this mask once a week and my GlamGlow mask every 2 weeks to keep my skin clean!
- Soap and Glory Peaches and Cream Cleansing Milk- I love how gentle this cleanser is and it removes any leftover makeup residue I have left from my makeup wipes.
- Neutrogena Rapid clear (10% benzoyl peroxide)- It’s a little drying and I must use a good moisturizer, but no more breakouts!
- CosRX Pimple patches- Lifesavers! I have cystic acne and these patches suck all the pus out without leaving a nasty scar. Plus, I don’t pick at my acne anymore because I have patches on them.